David H. Klein is a corporate director and advisor with deep experience and expertise in health care delivery and payment. His directorship and advisory experiences include early, growth and mature stage public, private and not for profit companies. His prior professional experiences include serving as a CEO of a holding company that operated health plans, a medical group, home care agency and hospice.
He serves as:
- Community member of the Lee Health System (which is a Florida independent special district hospital system) Finance and Investment Committee
- Advisor to Florida Gulf Coast University Marieb College of Health and Human Services
- Vice chair of the not-for-profit Massachusetts based Commonwealth Care Alliance health plan which finances and delivers care to high need high-cost patients covered dually with Medicare and Medicaid
- Special advisor to the CEO of the University of Rochester (UR) Medical Center, a professor of public health sciences in the UR School of Medicine and Dentistry and an executive professor of health care management in the UR Simon Business School
- Advisor to the New Life Substance Abuse Dream Center (substance abuse treatment)
- Member of the Lee County Ad Hoc Steering Committee on Behavioral Health and Substance Use Disorders
- Director of the Lee Health System Foundation
- Director of United Way of Lee, Hendry and Glades Counties
Mr. Klein is further:
- A member of the Distinguished Executives Council of the Cressey & Company private equity fund
- An advisor to Health Catalyst Capital Management venture fund
- An advisor to Triple Tree Capital Partners venture fund
Currently, Mr. Klein is:
- Lead director of Cogito, an Ai enabled call center management software company which is owned by Remus Capital and Goldman Sachs
- Director of Transparent Health Marketplace, a startup health care provider network management company using online auction to secure spot pricing to create value which is owned by Artis Ventures
- Director of Honest Medical Group, a startup value-based care medical group and practice management company, which is owned by Rubicon Founders
- Director of CTG, a digital acceleration services and solutions company which is traded on NASDAQ
David Klein at a Glance
- Current Lee Health Directors want David on the board
- Four-decade career leading numerous health care and health plan companies
- Served as CEO of a multi-billion-dollar health plan company with almost 2 million members
- Served as CEO of health care delivery system with over 140,000 patients
- Knows governance
- Knows Lee Health System and Lee County
- Has track record of locally making a difference
- Fills a void on the board as they face significant issues
- Lee Health System needs him given its challenges
Mr. Klein was the chief executive officer of The Lifetime Health Care Companies (Lifetime) and its subsidiaries headquartered in Rochester, NY. Lifetime was a $6 billion diversified health care company with health insurance and health care delivery operations. Its businesses included Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Univera Health Care, Lifetime Health Medical Group, Lifetime Care (home care agency and hospice), EBS-RMSCO Benefit Solutions (benefits consulting firm and third-party administrator) and MedAmerica (long term care health plan company). Mr. Klein had been a senior executive with Lifetime and its predecessor companies since 1986 and served as its CEO from 2003 through 2012.
Mr. Klein previously was an executive with the national BlueCross BlueShield Association and Health Care Services Corporation.
He served as a director of the national BlueCross BlueShield Association and America’s Health Insurance Plans. He was chair of the Blue Caucus which advocated for the interests of not-for-profit BlueCross BlueShield plans.
Mr. Klein has served as advisor to many companies including as the exclusive strategic advisor to the Sutherland Health Care Solutions, a division of Sutherland Global Solutions. Other advisory assignments include Wegmans Food Market, Merck, Northwest Venture Partners and Redesign Health.
Mr. Klein had been a board leader of the Business Council of New York State, Rochester Business Alliance, Greater Rochester Enterprise, and Rochester Downtown Development Corporation. He served as president of the University of Chicago Health Administration Alumni Association.
He was president of the local Boy Scout Council and director of Northeast Region, Boy Scouts of America. He is a Boy Scouts’ Distinguished Eagle Scout and the recipient of their Silver Beaver and Silver Antelope awards. He chaired United Way of Greater Rochester and is recipient of their (highest volunteer honor) Tocqueville Award. He also chaired an American Cancer Society Capital Campaign to establish a Rochester Hope Lodge and received their Champion of Hope Award.
The Lifetime Health Care Companies recognized Mr. Klein’s commitment to caregiver well-being by naming its support program, The David H. Klein Center for Compassion and Healing.
Mr. Klein received his Bachelor of Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and his Master of Business Administration from the University of Chicago. He was raised in Albany, NY. He lives in Bonita Springs, FL. He is married to the former Dawn Palazzo and has two sons, Randy and Alexander, a stepdaughter, Courtney Bailey and four grandchildren. His hobbies include golf, photography, and travel.
May 30, 2022